Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dinner Tonight, 9.4.12

I have pinned quite a few recipes to try (via Pinterest).  I have actually made several of them, with varied degrees of success. 

I saw a recipe for a philly-cheesesteak stuffed pepper.  Before I actually read over the recipe, the picture has been taunting me for a few weeks.  I'd already had some ideas in my head about how I would make it for dinner.  After I read the recipe this afternoon, I realized I was missing several ingredients, but that I wanted to try my version first anyway.  The original recipe calls for sauteed mushrooms and onions and deli-style roast beef. 

I love to buy minute-steaks from the butcher and so I combined the sauteed beef with onions and then added cooked rice, a cheese sauce, and some crumbled bacon.  The addition of the bacon was a last minute decision and it was a winner!

before baking



Philly-Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers 

6 red peppers, halved with seeds removed
1 lb. minute steak, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
3/4 cup cooked white rice (you could also use brown)
4 slices crumbled bacon
3/4 cup shredded cheddar, divided
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt, pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika

1.  Saute beef and onion in canola oil until browned and cooked through.
2.  In a medium bowl, add sauteed beef and onions to cooked rice.  Add crumbled bacon. Set aside.
3.  In a small saucepan, make your cheese sauce.  Melt butter and sprinkle flour over.  With a spoon, stir and cook until mixture thickens and boils.  Slowly add milk and stir until thick.  Add 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar and remaining ingredients.  Stir until completely melted. 
4.  Combine cheese sauce with rice/beef/bacon mixture in bowl.  Stuff peppers with as much filling as possible.  Sprinkle remaining cheddar over stuffed peppers.
5.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. 

**I would not describe myself as loving red peppers, but this was totally delicious. I added pickled jalapenos to mine and it was so, so good.  The only problem is that I only made one for each of us (two for Rob).  I could totally have eaten another one.  The good news......I made dessert.


Apple Crisp!!


I'm so happy right now.  :)

2 comments:

  1. that looks so good .. might have to try some myself, tomorrow night. have you posted your apple crisp recipe before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really yummy, but every time I make stuffed peppers I don't like the peppers! Maybe I should try again.
    The apple crisp looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete