I saw a recipe for a philly-cheesesteak stuffed pepper. Before I actually read over the recipe, the picture has been taunting me for a few weeks. I'd already had some ideas in my head about how I would make it for dinner. After I read the recipe this afternoon, I realized I was missing several ingredients, but that I wanted to try my version first anyway. The original recipe calls for sauteed mushrooms and onions and deli-style roast beef.
I love to buy minute-steaks from the butcher and so I combined the sauteed beef with onions and then added cooked rice, a cheese sauce, and some crumbled bacon. The addition of the bacon was a last minute decision and it was a winner!
Philly-Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
6 red peppers, halved with seeds removed
1 lb. minute steak, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
3/4 cup cooked white rice (you could also use brown)
4 slices crumbled bacon
3/4 cup shredded cheddar, divided
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt, pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1. Saute beef and onion in canola oil until browned and cooked through.
2. In a medium bowl, add sauteed beef and onions to cooked rice. Add crumbled bacon. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, make your cheese sauce. Melt butter and sprinkle flour over. With a spoon, stir and cook until mixture thickens and boils. Slowly add milk and stir until thick. Add 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar and remaining ingredients. Stir until completely melted.
4. Combine cheese sauce with rice/beef/bacon mixture in bowl. Stuff peppers with as much filling as possible. Sprinkle remaining cheddar over stuffed peppers.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
**I would not describe myself as loving red peppers, but this was totally delicious. I added pickled jalapenos to mine and it was so, so good. The only problem is that I only made one for each of us (two for Rob). I could totally have eaten another one. The good news......I made dessert.
I'm so happy right now. :)