Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cleaning out the Fridge

I had a cooking job last week - lunch for 70.  It seemed like I had to go to the grocery store(s) about fifty times, but it was probably only about 7.  Either way, I was looking forward to cleaning out my refrigerator.  I had lots of odds and ends sitting around and for some reason, this is very entertaining for me.  I love to see what I can make out of nothing.  The second best part is that my fridge is now looking much less cluttered!

So, after about two hours of cooking, this is what I've made


Blueberry galette, stuffed shells, applesauce, corn, and beef vegetable soup.  It's hard to believe that I started with 10 cooking apples, beef tenderloin ends, a half can of tomato paste, a partial container of cottage cheese, five ears of corn, a sad looking red pepper, four mushrooms, and about three cups of blueberries that were creeping towards the other side.  Now, obviously I had to add a few other staples to create these dishes, but I'm a little bit proud of myself! :)

This is what I'm most excited about!  I tried a new recipe, basically scouring the internet for a recipe using  3 cups of blueberries.  Here is the recipe I used.(except I made my own crust)



We're having leftovers for dinner tonight, but these stuffed shells will taste great tomorrow night!  I sauteed my one red pepper and four mushrooms with diced onion and some bacon.  I stuffed the shells with the cottage cheese, an egg and some parmesan and mozzarella.  




I'll probably use the corn to make corn and black bean relish and we'll eat that with the soup and tuna melts for a quick and easy dinner.  The applesauce is something the kids look forward to every summer.

And the galette?  I'd expect that to be history by this evening!



2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I like feeling creative and try to use leftovers from the fridge, but not often enough. You came up with some amazing dishes with your leftovers. They all look and sound fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe this should be a monthly challenge for your blog readers? Sometimes I play 'Survivor: Kitchen Edition' to clear out the pantry. I never make anything as delectable looking as what you turned out. I'd dive right into that blueberry dish if I lived at your house. Happy Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete