Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The World's Driest Pork

I usually love "country style" spare ribs.  They have just enough bone on the end to add flavor but provide the best of the white/dark meat combination.  Last week I threw the pork in the oven like I normally do, but maybe it just didn't have long enough to become tender.  It was really awful - dry, saliva-sucking, tastelessly awful.  Rob declared it, "the driest pork in the world".

The only problem: I didn't want to throw it away.  I took it on as a personal challenge to use that pork.  Just to see if I could.  Have you ever made chili with pork?  It was fabulous.  I covered the pork and stuck it back in the oven for another hour and a half - and somehow it looked even drier when it came out. But, throw something in a pot with beans, tomato paste and some spices - it's a winner every time. 


On the side, my go-to quiche recipe.  Roasted red peppers, asparagus, and swiss cheese.  If you "know" me in real life - you've eaten this quiche.  I make it for showers, cocktail parties, brunches, and dinner, apparently. 

Asparagus and Roasted Red Pepper Quiche with Swiss Cheese
1 prepared pie crust, unbaked (I made mine in my tart pan)
1 large bunch asparagus, cut into pieces and blanched
1 small jar roasted red peppers, chopped
2 cups shredded swiss cheese
3 eggs
3 T cornstarch
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup shredded parmesan
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt

1. Layer asparagus and roasted red pepper on top of unbaked crust. Top with shredded cheese.
2. In a small jar, shake milk and cornstarch until no lumps remain.
3. Add milk mixture to eggs (in large bowl).
4. Mix in additional ingredients.
5. Bake at 370 degrees for 45 minutes or until quiche is set and browned on top.


3 comments:

  1. The quiche looks divine! I'm not a pork eater. I'll make it for my family...I, myself, just won't eat it. Kudos for salvaging your dinner though! Happy Tuesday! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like quiche, so Im going to give this one a try since it looks so yum!

    I'd be passing on the pork K, I dont eat it which means Mr. P is perpetually deprived too.

    Oh and maybe it wasnt anything you did or didnt do - maybe it was just a really dry pig to start with ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that you could salvage the pork and make it work. I love quiche, this one looks yumm!

    ReplyDelete