Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ina's Lemon Pound Cake



I saw Ina make this recipe on the Barefoot Contessa last week and knew I had to try  it.  I made a yogurt-citrus cake (with lemon, lime, and orange) a number of years ago and have since lost the recipe.  I was hoping this cake would be just as good - it was close.




Here is the original recipe, courtesy of the food network and Ina Garten. 





Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup plain yogurt1 cup sugar
 3 eggs
 2 tsp lemon zest
 1/2 tsp vanilla
 1/2 cup canola oil

1.  Whisk the wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla, oil, yogurt, lemon zest).
2.  In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt).
3.  Combine with a spatula until smooth, do not overmix.
4.  Bake in a loaf pan at 350 degrees for 50 minutes (or in a tart pan for 35 or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean).  

Lemon Syrup
  - in a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice until melted.  Pour over hot cake.  Top with glaze if desired (1 cup confectioners sugar with 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice). 

 *** I made this in a tart pan for a prettier presentation***


We took this to a friend's house for dinner - it must have been good because we came home with an empty plate!  I have yet to make an Ina Garten recipe that I didn't love.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been wondering about this cake since I've seen it. Good to see a little review. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I've always made it out of her Barefood at Home cookbook and she makes it in a bread pan, I love the tart dish idea! Did she make it that way on the show? I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay just read your note about making it in the tart pan...ha. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you made the note on the tart pan as I was scratching my head looking at the title and then the pics, as I always cook pound cakes in a bread loaf pan. That's a great idea Kirsten, it does look much prettier as a tart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds & looks yummy Kirs-looks like you're getting good use out of that tart pan you got for Christmas! I don't make many desserts cuz RJ doesn't eat them & then I end up eating it all my self! By the way-your photos are supurb!!! You must be getting the hang of the new camera-I thought they were good before-but these are REALLY good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean - I will give Rob most of the credit on the pictures...he was my assistant this weekend. I love the lemon picture :) Thanks for noticing!

    ReplyDelete