Friday, December 3, 2010

Favourite Things Friday

One of my favourite things are photos.  I'm certainly not a talented photographer.  Our camera is average (it probably would work much better had I not dropped it at least five times).

The reason I love photos so very much is that they help me to remember.  And, more often than not, what I remember is a pleasant memory.

When I look at this picture I only see cute little kids. 

I'm awfully glad I have this picture - and yes, it's "scalloped" because I stole it from a photo album - because I don't really remember this point in my life.  Emma had just been born, Josh was in half-day kindergarden, and Kate was almost two.  It is a total blur.  I kind of remember being busy.  I was in survival mode - simply taking care of what needed taken care of.  I was working two evenings a week, Rob and I barely saw each other, and I blissfully can't remember any of it.

I often peruse our pictures, because I honestly forget what our kids looked like when they were little.  I find myself getting so caught up in the rush of life, that I use this as my way of looking back.  I wrote this post last spring about pictures and the memories they spark.  It's true that photos usually capture just a moment in time, and don't tell the whole story - but I don't think it's a bad thing if all we have are good memories!

9 comments:

  1. Aww...what a wonderful favorite! :o) I don't remember much of the first year of Son#2's life. He was 21 months younger than Son#1, so I can completely relate to the survival mode and forgetfulness. When LittleGirl came along, I knew she would probably be my last baby, so I forced myself to cherish the moments and try to remember as much as possible. I'm like you...glad I have photos...cause I remember almost nothing of that time! LOL Thanks for sharing a great post. Happy FTF! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have kids, but I love having old photos. Now most of them have been scanned I have them running in my sidebar on the laptop on a random loop and then throughout the day I get lots of lovely reminders of past times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand how it was a blur with three children close together, I could barely cope with one. I love looking at BP's baby photos, and she loves looking at them too. I have hundreds of photos from when BP was a baby up until the age of about 7, then I bought a digital camera and have barely any photos at all since then. Lots of photos on disks, but very few on paper. I need to rectify this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the original post and just went back and re-read it. Seeing those pictures brough back memories for me of our chats and what we've shared about our own life bits and pieces so photos have a follow on effect. Not only do your photos hold special memories for you , they hold different ones for me.

    I love looking back at my various hairstyles, how skinny I was, how cute Miss P was, how young my parents were...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's staggering how fast the kiddo's change, how fast everyone changes. It's good to look back and be able to acknowledge the hard, but be able to remember the sweet better. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make an excellent point about photos capturing a moment--and that it's usually a good one. Wonderful FTF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are little for such a short time and having three close together does make it all blur. I thank my MIL and FIL for taking lots of photos when the kids were little; I sure didn't have time to pull out the camera often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone!

    My father-in-law finds it difficult to look at pictures, because they make him sad about how his kids have grown, people he's lost, etc. I guess it's all in your perspective.

    I did find a picture of my grandmother - and her smile, the way she pulled her pants up to her armpits - I'd just forgotten - and it felt really, really good to remember.

    ReplyDelete