Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wing-Burgers....


I know, that sounds pretty gross, but bear with me.

Rob and I spent four years at Houghton College in rural western New York state. While there, he graduated with an athletic training (biology) major and minored in business. I majored in writing and specialized in hot wing consumption. :) Every Wednesday night, my good friend, Jess McDonald, and I enjoyed hot wings and Pepsi. I can't quite remember why Wednesday nights were the preferred evening of choice - but I do remember how much we loved our little snack.

Because Houghton College was close in proximity to Buffalo, NY (about 1 1/2 hours) the wings were very traditional. I have found a few places here in York where we enjoy wings. I should mention, before we get any further, that Rob detests wings. When we were in college, he supplemented his tuition by working on-campus [emptying the garbage cans in his dorm building]. Hot wings were a snack of choice for more than just Jess and myself and I think he smelled his fair share of decomposing wings - hence his strong hatred. The kids, on the other, hand - love the whole shebang (celery, blue cheese, and all).

When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. I did make a few minor adjustments, but I love the idea of mixing the wing sauce into the meat - it gives the flavor a chance to permeate instead of simply grilling a chicken breast and topping it with sauce. Check out the aforementioned recipe and then mine - pick which one you like best, and try them out! We found this to be a perfect weeknight meal - and perfect fuel for our trip to the track and soccer field for a little family fun!


Wing Burgers

1 lb ground chicken
1/4 cup wing sauce
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 T mayonnaise

1. Mix all ingredients and shape into equal-sized patties.
2. Allow to chill in refrigerator for at least 45 minutes before grilling (they will feel very gloppy).
3. Grill until nicely browned on both sides and cooked in the middle (about 7-8 minutes per side on medium-low).
4. Top with cheddar cheese, additional wing sauce, and ranch or blue cheese dressing.

We also enjoyed baked mac and cheese and baked tomatoes...
click here for the recipes - guess this was before I started taking pictures of my food!



**note: like the good wife that I sometimes am - I grilled a sesame-tuna steak for Rob on the grill**

4 comments:

  1. Kirsten-always looking for something different to try on the grill-will have to give this one a shot! Last nite on the way home from work, stopped for a few groceries at Fareway (local grocery) and picked up some "Hawaiian burgers"; made with ground ham/ham loaf, brown sugar & crushed pineapple-they were really good! They also have great "bacon-cheddar" burgers for grilling. Russ usually grills most nights thru fall--love keeping up with you on the blog!
    Aunt Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, the Hawaiian burger sound good! I grill usually all year long, occasionally scraping snow and moving our grill to the bottom of the steps if the snow is deep! We don't have the drifting issues that you do at your house, though! I wonder if you would benefit from having a grill pan? You could get the same result indoors (without the smoke flavor) and on your stove -
    Have a good day!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wing bugers sound awesome. However what is wing sauce? I am so sick of living in a country that doesnt have exotic sounding food...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have Frank's red hot sauce? I used a generic "Louisiana style hot sauce"....
    I think you totally have exotic-sounding food, it's just different!

    ReplyDelete