Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Simple

I want to emphasize how simple dinners can be. I know there are a few of you who are doubtful when I say that, but trust me - you can easily have a satisfying dinner on the table in about 30 minutes.

Tonight we had grilled smoked sausage, steamed broccoli (it's in season here, and delicious!), and this simple summer salad:



Including the time it took me to grill the sausage, my total time in the kitchen was less than 25 minutes - and everyone was relatively happy!



The salad couldn't be easier:
canned garbanzos
peeled and chopped cukes
chopped tomatoes (I just grabbed some from my backyard)
chopped black olives
crumbled feta
salt
pepper
2 T lemon juice
2 T olive oil
mix and serve

I think you could easily grill some chicken or shrimp to make this a meal.

I'll also share a meal I made last week - a grilled portabello stuffed with mexican-style rice.



I realize that this might not look like much to you, but believe me when I tell you that this was really delicious. The meatiness of the portabello combined with the creaminess of the cream cheese and cheddar and then the bite of the adobo sauce at the end are a combination that I can't wait to re-create. I actually have all the ingredients waiting so I can make it again - soon.

I grilled the portabellos briefly (4-5 minutes) and then placed them directly into a baking dish. I placed two tablespoons of cream cheese onto the ribs of the grilled mushroom. I spooned a healthy serving of adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers) over the cream cheese. Then I mixed cooked rice with salsa, shredded cheddar, and black beans (canned). I spooned this onto the portabello, topped with more cheddar and baked for about 20 minutes at 395 degrees.

I think you could easily incorporate shredded chicken or beef if you feel inclined.

I do make heavier meals at certain times, but more often than not our meals are not fancy or labor-intensive. I simply feel that it's important to fuel my family's appetites with healthy alternatives to prepared and processed foods - and the best part, it can be simple!

1 comment:

  1. Salad looks really good. I could become addicted to that salad! :)

    ReplyDelete