Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I'm in Trouble

It is a very bad thing that I'm not afraid of yeast anymore.  Now that I've mastered pizza dough and cinnamon rolls - there is no turning back. 




Honestly,  these cinnamon rolls were so easy.  The recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks involves no warm place and no kneading (usually what intimidates me).  I omitted the maple frosting, instead topping the rolls with a simple milk and powdered sugar combo.  She offers many different variations for her cinnamon rolls - orange marmalade, chocolate, caramel, etc. 

Here is the recipe I used today - no adaptations, except I did only make half of the recipe!  We do NOT need seven pans of cinnamon rolls.  But, a warning, I will be giving these as Christmas presents this year - teachers, neighbors, bus drivers - be ready!

  • 1 quart Whole Milk
  • 1 cup Vegetable Oil
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 2 packages Active Dry Yeast
  • 8 cups (Plus 1 Cup Extra, Separated) All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
  • 1 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
  • 1 Tablespoon (heaping) Salt
  • Plenty Of Melted Butter
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • Generous Sprinkling Of Cinnamon

Preparation Instructions

Mix the milk, vegetable oil and sugar in a pan. Scald the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point). Turn off heat and leave to cool 45 minutes to 1 hour. When the mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in both packages of Active Dry Yeast. Let this sit for a minute. Then add 8 cups of all-purpose flour. Stir mixture together. Cover and let rise for at least an hour.
After rising for at least an hour, add 1 more cup of flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture together. (At this point, you could cover the dough and put it in the fridge until you need it – overnight or even a day or two, if necessary. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to overflow out of the pan, just punch it down).
When ready to prepare rolls: Sprinkle rolling surface generously with flour. Take half the dough and form a rough rectangle. Then roll the dough thin, maintaining a general rectangular shape. Drizzle 1/2 to 1 cup melted butter over the dough. Now sprinkle 1 cup of sugar over the butter followed by a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.
Now, starting at the opposite end, begin rolling the dough in a neat line toward you. Keep the roll relatively tight as you go. Next, pinch the seam of the roll to seal it.
Spread 1 tablespoon of melted butter in a seven inch round foil cake or pie pan. Then begin cutting the rolls approximately ¾ to 1 inch thick and laying them in the buttered pans.
Repeat this process with the other half of the dough. Let the rolls rise for 20 to 30 minutes, then bake at 375 degrees (see note below) until light golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you made these rolls. I've been tempted many times, but haven't gone for it. I will have to make them. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are scary easy! Perfect for in between cleaning, laundry, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was your bus driver.

    I have some dry yeast in my fridge ... actually, I have everything but the whole milk. Maybe I'll do some baking tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And your neighbors too, I hope??!?! Good thing this wasn't yesterday- I'd be in serious trouble!! I'll have to wait for a good excuse to make these!

    I'm off to search your site for a yummy potato recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nic - why don't you come over and have one? seriously.

    Emily - I wonder how important the whole milk is? I happened to be running to Giant today, that's the only reason I had it! Let me know how they turn out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep, i've made these many times- very good. except i prefer the maple in the frosting, adds depth! don't let yeast intimidate you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't tell you how hungry you are making me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hypothetically speaking: how alarming would it be if the rolls were all gone not 24 hours after I made them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abbie - I'm totally doing the maple frosting next time, unless I do the orange marmalade - that sounds divine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So you decided to share the trouble???? Sheesh.

    I do cinammon rolls in my bread maker. Haven't done any in a while. Now I want to...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, I want to spread the misery - of too-tight jeans!

    ReplyDelete