Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Apple Pie



I originally made this pie as a present of sorts for Rob - but, someone had to eat the piece I took a picture of - let me tell you, this was amazing.



Our region is surrounded by orchards and apples are in full swing right now -


I originally posted this recipe last Christmas Eve - but I think tonight's version was even better. I used Macintosh apples and they became tender and almost creamy. The tartness of the "macs" were a perfect match with the buttery crust (I use half shortening and half butter) and crunchy brown sugar topping.



By the way - this makes the best breakfast - warmed in the microwave and served in a bowl with milk!

French Apple Pie
unbaked pie crust
8 large apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
2-3 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg (freshly grate for best flavor)
topping:
6 T butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour

1. Combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Microwave for about 7 minutes, stopping twice to stir.
2. Fill pie crust with apples.
3. Mix remaining ingredients with fork or pastry cutter or until coarse crumbs are formed.
4. Bake pie for 45-50 minutes at 375 degrees or until crust is golden and top is nicely browned.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kirs.... it was DELICIOUS!

    Signed,
    ...your grateful husband

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing @ Rob's comment.

    I'm hiding this recipe from Mr. P's prying eyes. He doesnt need the calories. (see how nice Mrs. Rob is she doesnt publicly bag her husband for wanting apple pie)

    But it does look sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pie DOES look good. I really think you should enter a competition or something!

    ReplyDelete