Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ruby Colored Gems


I picked up these little beauties at Raab's fruit farm yesterday morning. My mom suggested that I let the cherries "plump" in some water for a few hours before freezing (for pies). Aren't they gorgeous?




We also love cherry pudding, pronounced "churry puddin" here in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country.



In some other exciting news: corn is in season!! Poor Emma can't quite eat it this year because of her loose front teeth, but we all enjoyed it, some of us with a spoon.



During the summer, we usually travel a good bit - spending a week in Iowa and two weeks in Florida. We're unsure how the Bradenton/Sarasota area will be affected by the oil spill, so we've decided to indefinitely postpone/cancel our trip. I am obviously quite disappointed, simply because it's nice for the kids to be able to spend some time with us (read: Rob) just having fun without the responsibilities (read: distractions of work/phone/computer) that crowd into our everyday lives. So, my question is: what are your vacation plans for the summer? Do you go to the same place every year? What are some of your summer-time traditions?

In any case, whenever I need a little breath of relaxation, I simply look back to last year -



Sigh.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe that you cancelled your trip! Did you get any of those deals on SW for a fall trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry your vacation plans have changed. I really look forward to getting away when we have the chance, but the last few years we have taken off in winter rather than summer and gone somewhere it's warm to escape the cold. I guess we dont have to work around kids summer holidays anymore so that suits us.

    The cherries look yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Mrs. P---where do you go for warm? Do you stay within your country or head somewhere else?

    Knocker Mom-- travel for the Southwest promotion is fall...I did think about it, but I'm not sure how Emma will transition into full-day school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirsten, we have headed up to the far North of Australia for the last few years (cheap holiday - my sister was living there )

    Last time I went overseas was in 1989! We were planning a trip to Vietnam later this year but had to change our plans. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the update, Mrs P...I love to live vicariously through other people's travels. We also visit Florida every year because it's free. My in-laws have a cabin in the PA mountains and a condo in Florida so it's really nice to have vacation homes to utilize, but it doesn't make for variety (but that's totally fine by me).
    Vietnam sounds beautiful...

    ReplyDelete