Saturday, June 12, 2010

Grilled Pizza



Also known as the world's best pizza.

The concept is crazy simple. I bought pizza dough (for 83 cents) at Price-Rite and let it thaw. I cut personal portions for each of us, floured them and rolled them out. We turned our grill onto medium and cooked each dough for between 3-5 minutes. The dough bubbles and puffs, and you can decide what level of doneness you prefer. As you can see, we had quite the variation in blackening.



After the dough was grilled briefly on both sides, we topped with our preferred choices and then put the pizzas on the top rack to basically melt the cheese. The kids made "taco" pizzas, Rob had pepperoni and cheese, and I topped mine with pesto, oven-roasted tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and onions, peppers, and mushrooms. I declared it "the best pizza in the world".

4 comments:

  1. I'm always amused by some of the things you can buy there cheaply. Dough - already made? I think I saw that here once and it was about 4 bucks.

    Having said that we have a pizza stone and we used to make pizza from scratch all the time. I think I need to get on that again since I love homemade pizza and yours does look delicious!

    (Im a fan of pepperoni, kalamata olives, and anchovies)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my pizza stone, too...the grill just gives a really interesting flavor.

    Why do you think it is that your things are so much more expensive?

    I'll have to try your flavor combo...I've only ever used anchovies for caesar salad dressing. Sadly, the only "food" I've ever found that I've disliked is red licorice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are more expensive here because our dollar pretty much sucks, and also because we're an island in the middle of nowhere so it's not like we can pop over to another country to get things cheaper...that's my theory anyway.

    Plus our minimum wage is about double what yours is - so production costs more. Unless they send it overseas, which is what they're doing more and more now - although that probably wouldnt work for dough....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My stomache's about to growl for that pizza - I MUST make it over to price rite SOON!

    ReplyDelete