Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spaghetti Squash, Revamped

The last time we had spaghetti squash (per my eleven-yr old's request) it was more than disappointing. I think spaghetti squash is amazing. It's super crunchy and light, but when topped with a good sauce, it's easy to believe you're actually eating pasta. I'm trying to incorporate more vegetables into my diet (when I'm not eating peanut butter sundaes) and I bought some veggies for grilling and making soups. I have been determined to redeem my last spaghetti squash endeavor, so grilled vegetables seemed like the perfect pairing. I also grilled some smoked sausage [that I buy at our local butcher) and it was a delicious summer-like dinner.



I halved the spaghetti squash and scooped out the seeds and then placed the halves (cut side down) on a baking dish. I baked the squash for about 40 minutes and after I determined it was tender I proceeded to scrape the inside with a fork. The strands definitely are not as long as a traditional pasta, but I find that a little more convenient. I grilled peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and yellow squash to toss with the spaghetti strands. I also added a little parmesan cheese. It's been beautiful here in York, so we've been enjoying our dinners on the back porch.

1 comment:

  1. I WANT SOME! are you coming this summer? driving? flying? can you stuff it in your suitcase? i'm on a mission. there HAS to be some around here somewhere. farmer's market starts next month, i'm looking.

    ReplyDelete