Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Kid - Pleasing Enchiladas

As much as I want them to, my kids just don't like spicy foods. Every time I try to sneak a spicy component into our meals, my kids sniff them out and sometimes they can even conjure up real tears. I always imagine that building up a tolerance to spicy foods would be kind of like building up calluses on the bottom of little feet (we usually try to do this in the late spring, so we can be barefoot as much as possible!). I will keep trying to get my kids to like a little spice in their foods, if they continue to rule out anything with a little zip, they are missing out on whole genres of ethnic cuisine (and that makes me a little sad inside). For now, though, I'll feed them things like these enchiladas. My gang inhaled these, I found them a little blah. If it were up to me, I would have added black beans, chipotles, pickled jalapenos, and sliced green chiles.



Kid-Pleasing Enchiladas
2-lb chuck roast
smoked paprika
ground cumin
ground black pepper
kosher salt
small jar salsa, divided
1 can refried beans
2 cups cooked rice
tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar
1 can enchilada sauce
sour cream or plain yogurt for topping

1. Place chuck roast into baking pan. Sprinkle roast with cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Add half of the salsa over roast. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for at least two hours. Shred meat and place into large mixing bowl.
2. Mix shredded beef, cooked rice, shredded cheddar and remaining salsa.
3. On a tortilla, spread 3T refried beans down the center, top with meat and rice mixture and roll. Place tortilla, seam-side down, into baking dish (9x13). Finish assembling tortillas.
4. Top tortillas with enchilada sauce, more shredded cheddar (if desired) and bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

2 comments:

  1. kid pleasing and nic pleasing!! i'm making these tonight for supper, minus the refried beans, of course! yum, can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so hilarious!
    if you knew how much we ate beans in this house, you'd probably never step foot in here again! :)
    they're one of my favorite things ever!!
    hope you love them-

    ReplyDelete