Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I'm moving on

As you've probably noticed, I become obsessed quite easily. I'll try a new recipe, fall in love, make it like a thousand (or usually four) times, and then move on to something else (once I'm officially sick of said food).

My obsessions have been many: greek spinach pie, parmesan-artichoke topped tomatoes, porchetta, hog maw, and biscuits, to name a few.

First there was this…..
Rhubarb Custard Pie




Then there were these…
Oven Roasted Tomatoes



But, I’m moving on.
I am loving these…
Raspberry-Oatmeal Swirls




Oh, am I ever loving these. So simple. So delicious. So fresh-tasting.

I first saw this recipe on a “Nigella Eats” episode. I was preparing a brunch for 35 people on Monday, and just knew I had to make these raspberry-swirl yogurt parfaits. The recipe calls for greek yogurt, but I simply drained vanilla yogurt until I had the consistency of greek yogurt. The yogurt is layered with pureed frozen fruit. I pureed frozen raspberries in a blender with confectioner’s sugar and layered the raspberry mixture with the yogurt, lastly topping with crumbled oatmeal cookies. The result: creamy, rich and flavorful deliciousness. Certainly worthy of an obsession. You could certainly purchase the cookies and crumble them, but for investigative purposes I made my own cookies and crumbled them. I simply used the Betty Crocker recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies, omitting the raisins. I also topped with a few fresh strawberries and blueberries.

Oatmeal Cookie Recipe:
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup stick butter, softened
½ cup shortening
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup flour

1. Mix all ingredients except oats and flour.
2. Refrigerate mixture for at least four hours or overnight.
3. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment-paper lined cookie sheet.
4. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until browned.

I'm sure the possibilities are endless with this recipe. I would imagine that pureed frozen strawberries or blueberries would also be delicious (I am partial to red raspberries, as they are among my favorite fruits). I think granola would also be tasty, I rather enjoyed the simplicity of the oatmeal cookies, though. Here is the original recipe. Please feel free to improvise, but honestly, this recipe is a keeper. Certainly as good as the rhubarb custard pie, the oven-roasted tomatoes, and the above-mentioned foods. I don't take my obsessions lightly, they have to be quite exceptional to reach that status.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad I went to that brunch to try these puppies (and the blueberry muffins were AMAZING, too...and Travis brought Jeremy some quiche which he devoured...before dinner!) Yum as always! (usually)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. I swear my virtual cookbook is getting filled up with your recipes.

    ReplyDelete