Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Steak, baby-

Last week at market, during my visit to our local butcher, I spied a huge piece of flank steak. Instead of having it cut to size, I decided to take the whole piece and try to make two meals out of the one piece. We love steak, but I really can't justify paying for the more conventional cuts, so I opt for flank or skirt steak. I paid a little over $13 for a really nice piece of beef and was able to make two meals: Orange-Grilled Flank Steak and Rendang Curry.

I also tried to create a version of the Girl Scout's "tagalongs", or peanut butter patties. They turned out pretty tasty, but I would describe them as "deconstructed" (aka: too delicate to dip into melted chocolate).

Orange-Grilled Flank Steak we enjoyed our steak with baked mac and cheese, baked tomatoes, and fresh steamed green beans



flank steak, 1/2 lb per adult
2 T orange juice
1 T soy sauce
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp garlic powder

1. Marinate steak for at least 2 hrs, but up to 8 hrs.
2. Grill steak over medium heat, for 8 minutes per side (9-10 if especially thick, more than 1/2 inch).
3. Allow steak to rest for at least five minutes, then slice as thinly as possible diagonally against the grain.

Rendang Curry I received the curry recipe from this lovely lady. I was not able to find all of the ingredients on a quick trip to the grocery store, but the result was delicious anyway. I'd like to try chicken and try to create a "mussaman" curry with potatoes and carrots next time. I love the basic undercurrent of flavors, rich and delicious!




I served the curry with jasmine rice and roasted broccoli and carrots. Simply toss the veggies with a dash of olive oil and a sprinkling of kosher salt. Roast at 395 degrees for 25 minutes.

flank steak, 1/2 lb per person
1 can of coconut milk
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 teaspoon of ground cloves
1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of salt
1 or 2 teaspoons of chili powder

Mix all ingredients and pour over flank steak. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for at least 3hrs. Serve over cooked jasmine rice

Peanut Butter Patties (courtesy of Baking Bites)
This is really just a shortbread cookie with a glorified peanut butter mixture and a dollop of chocolate ganache - but delicious all the same! They're so good, I've had nine today (I wish I were kidding).



Cookie:
1 cup butter, soft
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 T milk

Cream butter and sugar, then add remaining ingredients. Chill dough for at least 2hrs. Bake a tablespoon of dough at 350 degrees for 11-13 minutes, or until edges are browned and cookies are set. After removing cookies from oven, create a thumbprint with the back of a spoon. Remove from the baking sheet after several minutes and cool on a wire rack. Top with peanut butter filling and a dollop of ganache. If you're really feeling brave, you could try to dip the entire cookie in the ganache, but mine appeared too fragile to attempt such a feat.

Peanut Butter Filling:
1 1/2 cups peanut butter (I used Jif natural)
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
pinch salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix and heat in the microwave until melted and warm.

Dip or dollop with melted semisweet chocolate. I also melt mine in the microwave with just a splash of milk or cream.

5 comments:

  1. As always YUM!!!!! LOVE the new look too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look good! So does everything else, but I'm only hungry for cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, abbie...I like the new template, too!

    Marion, still haven't done anything with microsoft live writer, guess Rob's been "too busy working" :) and, yes, the cookies were ridiculously delicious...so glad they're finally gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirsten I'm playing catch up with blogs. What a week !

    Glad you enjoyed the curry . (Duh- it had simply never occured to me to do this with chicken - I'm clearly quite stupid) can you post an awesome cookie recipe without nuts -I'm allergic and I'm hungry for cookies now.

    P.S. I have livewriter and have never used it. Maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You owning up to the fact that you ate 9 of those cookies made me smile! We had peanutbutter cookies in the house yesterday and Olivia noticed that there was only 1 1/2 left after dinner....hmmm..where did they go?

    ReplyDelete