Fennel and Blood Orange Salad
1 bulb fennel, outer layer removed and sliced thinly
1 blood orange (or navel orange), sliced thinly into rings
1/2 small red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp dijon
2 tsp orange juice
1. Layer fennel slices, oranges, and onions.
2. In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients and pour over salad.
3. Top with fennel fronds, if desired.
Chicken Curry (served over jasmine rice) adapted from the Pioneer Woman
chicken thighs, skin removed
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 medium tomato
5 sprigs cilantro
2 tsp dijon
4 T canola oil
2 T curry powder
2 tsp turmeric
3/4 cup water
1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup water
1. Pulse onion, garlic, tomato, and cilantro in blender or food processor until chopped finely. Marinate chicken breasts in dijon and onion/garlic/tomato/cilantro mixture [for at least two hours].
2. In a large saute pan, heat canola oil. In a small bowl, whisk curry powder, turmeric, and water until combined.
3. Add to heated oil and whisk constantly for five minutes until paste forms.
4. Add chicken thighs, turn to coat. Add coconut milk and water and simmer for at least 40-45 minutes or until cooked through and sauce is reduced.
5. Serve over jasmine rice.
Cinnamon-Sugar Rhubarb Cake adapted from Taste of Home
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
1. Cream shortening, brown sugar, and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes.
2. Add buttermilk alternately with dry ingredients.
3. Stir in rhubarb
4. Top with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
5. Bake in a greased 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.