Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What our family eats in.....less than a week


I'm not sure if anyone remembers the slideshow I posted a number of months ago. I found it quite interesting: a compilation of average families in various countries and the food they purchased and consumed in a week. In case you missed it, the link is http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519_1373664,00.html

I decided to do something similar, but a little bit on a smaller scale. I continually extol the virtues of our local "Price-Rite" store. Basically, it's a discount grocer that seems to target more inner-city families of various nationalities. There are many brand-names, great produce, and phenomenal prices. I shop in the mornings, it's very quiet, the shelves are stocked and I miss the crowd that requires a security guard (no judgements, just an observation). I don't buy everything at Price-Rite, but here is a sampling of what I bought today:
4 boxes honey nut cheerios
1 bag dried pasta
4 cans of beans
1 bag dried beans
1 can tomato paste
1 jar roasted peppers
1 large 8pk juicy juice
1 box green-tea bags
1 bottle unsweetened grape juice
3 cans beef broth
1 bottle parmesan
1 box kashi seven-grain crackers
1 loaf baguette bread (sorry, Abbie, I promise I'll bake bread soon!)
1 box granola bars
spicy italian sausage
spring mix
parsnips
sweet potatoes
grape tomatoes
zucchini
sweet onion
russet potatoes
strawberries
red raspberries
blueberries
blackberries
bananas (2 bunches)
pineapple
gala apples
bartlett pears
6 chobanis
1 pkg cream cheese
1 tub crumbled gorgonzola
2 boxes superpretzels
1 bag frozen spinach
1 1/2 lbs sharp cheddar
naan flatbread
1 bag cinnamon raisin bagels

my grand total: $90.18

Now, this doesn't include my meat. I shop at our local market to buy beef and pork, then supplement at our local grocery store (Giant) with chicken, fish, etc (I usually buy what's on sale or discounted). I also buy our dairy and eggs at the local dairy. I probably spend about $150/wk total. Our diet isn't perfect, but I try to present a well-rounded choice of food to my family (albeit a little heavy on the meat).

Tell me what you think! How much do you spend a week at the grocery store? Any thoughts on the slideshow?

I'll be posting on some real recipes later today...promise!

5 comments:

  1. I'm just super impressed that you took the time to put everything on the table to take a pic. Then, you wrote it all down. Very impressed. I would go to Price Rite because you are so good at marketing for them, but I REALLY don't like to shop. So, there's no way I'm going to 2 stores to do my shopping. I go rarely even go in grocery store anymore. I do Weis online shopping and I LOVE it! Kim's picking up our groceries on his way home from work today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's so not me! I love to shop...it's where I get to brainstorm (especially if I'm by myself)...Plus, I love to check out the reduced meats at Giant -
    very interesting...I think I'll check out the website for Weis...do they have lots of choices? guess I'll find out in a second!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO good to know for future reference. I'm bugging Curt to buy us a deep freeze so that we can purchase a cow or pig from a local farmer and have him cut it up for us. I also love to grocery shop and brainstorm, getting inspired by whatever produce I find or other fun things (I love that you bought Naan, Indian food is so tasty! Thanks also for posting on my blog--yes, Will is incredibly laid back, he definitely takes after Curt :) I'm waiting for our next child to be just like me--a little more Type A and finicky--haha. :) I'll try to stalk Ina's and let you know if I get a glimpse of Jeffrey! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who eats all those Honey Nut Cheerios?? I need that many boxes in a week for Jer!! Does PR always have those Kashi crackers?? I guess I should go with you sometime to broaden my horizons!! Also, the lady told me mornings are busier now than afternoons...interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummm, Rob and Emma love Honey Nut Cheerios....but, and I am embarrassed for Rob, but he actually puts honey on top of the honey nut cheerios!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, they always have the Kashi crackers....I'll still shop early morning, just because everything is fully stocked and looking really colorful! Yes, come along anytime-

    ReplyDelete