Thursday, December 3, 2009

Still Trying to Like Chicken...

As I mentioned previously, my boys do not like chicken. I have made it my mission to change their mind, at least with a few dishes. Last night we had chicken cordon bleu with plenty of ham, cheese, panko, and a parmesan-mustard sauce. My husband liked it, but I'm pretty sure Josh didn't even taste it. He had a pretty bad headache and was in bed by 7pm. Maybe it was too much excitement this week: his first buck harvest and his first track practice!

I served the chicken over wild rice and also made roasted green beans. For dessert I decided to make an apple strudel. I wanted to give the puff pastry another try without too much tedium. The cherry turnovers were a little annoying because I couldn't fit much filling into each square. The apple strudel was easy, especially with my mandoline slicer. When I make it again, I will peel the apples before I slice them and probably add less fresh nutmeg. But, the strudel definitely received a thumbs-up from my gang (especially with Perrydell vanilla ice cream).




Tonight we're having our last bear roast and I'll try to remember to take pictures in case you never have the opportunity to eat/prepare bear meat!

Chicken Cordon Bleu
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
panko bread crumbs
butter
ham
swiss (or any other kind of cheese: gouda, american, or provolone would be great)

1. If breasts are thick enough, slice horizontally and stuff with ham and cheese. If not, lay slices of ham and cheese on top of chicken breast, roll and secure with toothpicks.
2. Top with plenty of panko bread crumbs and pats of butter.
3. Sprinkle with garlic salt, dried parsley, and cracked pepper.
4. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees (on bottom rack) for 35 minutes. Top with parmesan-mustard sauce and bake for an additional 25 minutes, covering if chicken appears to be browning too quickly.


Parmesan-Mustard Sauce
3 T butter
3 T flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp whole-grain mustard
3 tsp parmesan cheese
black pepper

1. Melt butter in small saucepan. Sprinkle flour and stir until smooth.
2. Slowly add milk until smooth and thickened.
3. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.













Apple Strudel
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed and rolled out until thin
3 apples, peeled and sliced thinly
brown sugar
butter
cinnamon
fresh nutmeg, grated
egg white for wash

1. On a greased cookie sheet, assemble strudel: layer 1 apple (sliced) with a sprinkling of brown sugar and cinnamon, top with pats of butter and repeat.
2. Brush edges of puff pastry with egg wash.
3. On top layer, grate fresh nutmeg (scan 2 tsp), top with pats of butter and fold pastry overtop of apple layers. Make sure to create a seam [with the puff pastry] that is pressed together or overlapped.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until pastry is browned and flaky. The juice from the strudel with leak out on the cookie sheet. This is very yummy over the pieces of strudel and will harden on your ice cream....yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment