Thursday, October 22, 2009

Rob's favorite: meatloaf

There are a few things that I do for my husband not because I want to, but because it makes him happy (even when he checks email at the dinner table). Meatloaf is one of those things. I am just not a big fan of ground beef. Rob, on the other hand is just crazy for meatloaf. So, even though the rest of us were less than excited for this dinner, we sacrificed for his benefit (till he checked his email at the dinner table and I immediately stomped off to the dining room to eat by myself...oh, did I already mention that?)

Back to the topic at hand: meatloaf. This is a derivation of a recipe from the father of my best friend. I have added a few of my own touches, and it's actually tasty for meatloaf. We decided to wait for Rob to eat dinner until 7:00, and so I had some extra time and also made: roasted sweet potato "chips", biscuits, roasted cauliflower and broiled grapefruit.

The most exciting part of this whole experience was the fact that I could take pictures of my creations! The result is far from award-winning, but I'm loving the graphic illustration.



Meatloaf
1 lb ground beef
1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
4 slices bacon
1 T dijon mustard
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2t parsley, fresh or dried
2t chives, if you have them in your backyard or growing on your front steps

1. Layer bacon slices on plate, top with carrots, onion, and garlic and microwave (covered) until bacon is crisp and veggies are cooked and browned slightly. Crumble bacon.
2. Mix vegetables and crisped bacon with the remaining ingredients. Top with more ketchup.
3. Place into a loaf pan or create a loaf in baking pan.
4. Bake, covered, at 375 for 40 minutes. Drain. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 15-20 minutes. Let meat loaf rest 5 minutes before serving.

Roasted Cauliflower
simply cut into bite-sized pieces, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika (if desired) and roast at 395 degrees for 25 minutes.


Broiled Grapefruit
Section grapefruit and sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil for about 5 minutes or until sugar is melted and has formed a light crust. Serve while still quite warm.

Roasted Sweet Potato "Chips"
(the sweet potatoes I used were local "white" sweet potatoes, but any kind would do)
Slice sweet potatoes into "french fry" shape or use mandoline slicer or knife to create thin "chip"-like thin rounds (maybe 1/8" thick). Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 375 or until browned and tender. Be careful not to burn as the sugar content is higher in sweet potatoes versus other potatoes.

I don't know how much of the general population actually enjoys meatloaf, but after much effort, this is the best I've come up with! I'd love to know: do you like meatloaf?

1 comment:

  1. you are hilarious! rob you dog! :) i would have done the same thing.. ate in the living room!
    ran the 10k today.. super fun!

    ReplyDelete