Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"Quiche" with Potato Crust

Tonight we had cheeseburgers (again), and I was at a loss as to what I should serve with them. Usually I would have made oven fries or some other kind of potato dish...but, I only had 3 potatoes. Arrgghh, and I had just been at the grocery store yesterday (I guess that's why my mom thinks I should make a list). I didn't have enough macaroni to make mac and cheese, and I thought brown rice would taste disgusting with burgers. I'm trying to pare down what I have in my pantry simply because our kitchen is so small and it's much nicer with less in my cabinets. Well, long story short--I decided to make a "quiche" with a potato crust using my three potatoes! It was really good, kinda weird with burgers, but everyone liked it anyway.

Now you may notice my obvious love for chives. I plant herbs every summer: spearmint, mint, oregano, chives, parsley, basil, thyme and chives. Also, for some reason, we always have "wild" chives growing in our front steps and also in our flower beds in the winter and spring. I am quite happy to be plucking them from the steps to use in dishes in the winter while I'm missing my large planter of herbs on my back porch.


Quiche with Potato Crust
3 (or more) potatoes, sliced thinly with mandoline or knife
canola oil
salt pepper
provolone cheese slices
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
cherry tomatoes
deli turkey, chopped
4 eggs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
chives
1/4 cup milk
cheddar cheese

1. Brown potato slices in saute pan until barely browned. Remove from pan and place into 9x13 pan, overlapping in au gratin style. Using the same pan, brown onion slices and tomatoes (whole).
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper on potato slices. Lay provolone slices over potato slices, covering completely.
3. Sprinkle onion, turkey, tomatoes and chives over provolone.
4. Mix eggs, milk, and parmesan cheese. Pour over onion, turkey, and tomatoes.
5. Sprinkle grated cheddar (if desired) and bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until set and browned.

***now, obviously this could be very tasty with any number of ingredients...my advice, clean out your refrigerator and be creative!***

No comments:

Post a Comment