Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Jody's pasta salad

My aunt Jody makes this pasta salad and it is so addicting. Seriously, I will eat myself sick with this stuff. It's one of those dishes that gets better with age, and that I leave uncovered in the refrigerator with a fork in it so I can grab a bite every time I open the door. One of the reasons that I love it so much is that it is a blank canvas; you can add anything to it and it will taste fabulous. Basically all you need is the dressing and the pasta and then you just start adding stuff!
I'll give you her recipe and then at the end I'll tell you all the ingredients I have added over the years.

Aunt Jodie's pasta salad
1 lb rotini
1 box cherry tomatoes, halved
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 medium red pepper, diced
1 can black olives, halved
1/4 lb each: hard salami, cappicola, pepperoni, provolone, cheddar
dressing:
1 cup canola oil
1 T sugar
1 tsp oregano
3/4 cup white vinegar
**allow the salad to chill for at least four hours to help the flavors incorporate**

I like this version, but I also add canned artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, various meats, mozzarella, capers, and fresh herbs...or whatever you think would taste good...really, the possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment