Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Vegetable Enchiladas

I really enjoy vegetables. I often notice that there is a lack of flavor in vegetarian dishes, however. I think sometimes a few extra spices or herbs can make all of the difference in added taste. Last night I was asked to make veggie enchiladas for a community dinner. I tried to create a recipe that used lots of flavor but also tasted really fresh. I searched my go-to website for ideas: epicurious.com and didn't really have much success. So I decided to instead "build" added layers of flavor. I think it was pretty successful. For the true test, I will feed this to my carnivores sometime in the near future!

Even though this takes a little bit more time to create, it is a one-dish meal and some of the ingredients take no more effort than to open a can!

Veggie Enchiladas
10 whole wheat tortillas
2 large red peppers, sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
2 T olive oil
smoked paprika
cumin
pepper
"Goya" yellow rice, follow package directions
1 can black beans
1 can chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce), chopped
1 can pickled jalapenos, chopped
1 jar pico de gallo (I used "Goya"but you could also use salsa)
3 T butter
3 T flour
1 cup milk
4 cups shredded cheddar, divided
3/4 cup chopped cilatro, if desired
1 can enchilada sauce (green or red, personal preference)

1. Combine peppers, onions, and next four ingredients. Grill or saute over medium-high heat or until nicely browned (but still firm). Set aside.
2. Mix prepared rice and next four ingredients. Set aside.
3. Prepare cheese sauce: Create a "white" sauce by melting butter, stirring in flour and adding milk slowly until thickened. Stir in 3 cups shredded cheddar and stir until melted. Stir in half of the cilantro. Set aside.
4. Assemble enchiladas: tortilla, rice mixture, peppers and onions, and a spoonful of cheese sauce. Fold in half and place "upside down" (seam down) in a 9x13 baking pan. After the pan is assembled, pour enchilada sauce over filled tortillas. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. After the enchiladas are finished baking, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment