Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sesame Ginger Flank Steak and Creamy Cole Slaw

My kids love steak. While I sometimes splurge on ribeye's, usually I buy flank steak or skirt steak. Both cuts are much less expensive, cook quite quickly, and are fairly lean. I have found that "Newman's Own" sesame ginger salad dressing is the perfect marinade for flank steak. It's that simple:marinate the steak, grill, and eat it!

Coleslaw is more of a summer salad, but with cabbage in season and the grilled meat, I think it would be a nice side. My mom always made the sweet and sour version of "pepper slaw" and we ate it with things like oyster pie and pot pie. I like the pepper slaw, but I love creamy coleslaw, especially on pulled pork sandwiches.

I'll also include a recipe for "root veggie chips", although I am not sure anyone will rush right out and and make them. I happen to think they're rather tasty, but let's just say I'm the only one in this house who eats them. Either way, if you're feeling adventurous, I say go for it.


Sesame-Ginger Flank Steak
"Newman's Own" sesame-ginger salad dressing
flank steak (1/2 lb per person)

1. Marinate steak at least four hours.
2. Grill over medium-high heat for 8-9 minutes per side.
3. Let rest at least five minutes, then slice diagonally into thin pieces.

Creamy Coleslaw
1/2 head of green cabbage, sliced thinly
1/2 head purple cabbage, sliced thinly
2 apples, chopped finely
3 T chopped chives
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped coarsley
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp whole-grain mustard
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp celery seed

Mix dressing ingredients into large bowl, then add the chopped apples, veggies, and chives. Stir to coat, and refrigerate for at least four hours, stirring every so often.

Root Vegetable Chips
beets
sweet potatoes
gold potatoes
parsnips

1. Thinly slice veggies into "chips". I use a mandoline slicer and try to use the setting that would produce chips 1/8 inch thick.
2. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. I keep the beet slices separate, as the juice will bleed into the other vegetables.
3. Roast veggies at 395 degrees for 25 minutes, stirring once. The result will be crispy and browned deliciousness--no, really they are delicious!
I dare you to try them :)

2 comments:

  1. I've never made my own root veggie chips, but that's what I buy for the family. We love them. Guess I'll try to make them myself... I don't have a mandoline slicer. I wonder if the slicer on the food processor would get them thin enough???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a food processor...is it really hard to clean? (that's my big hang-up)...
    I say try it! my mandoline was only $25 from ChefsCatalog....maybe your owners manual would have a suggestion on slicing.
    let me know how it works!

    ReplyDelete