Saturday, August 29, 2009

Lemon-Ricotta pancakes

I know this sounds a little weird, but these are so light and fluffy. I usually try to make a "big" breakfast for my gang once during the weekend, and these have quickly become one of our favorites. Tomorrow I'll post our other new favorite: strata! (we love carbs :)
I add blueberries to the pancakes, but half of us like them plain. I also slice peaches to put on top with maple syrup, of course!
I have used cottage cheese in place of the ricotta, and they taste almost as good.

Lemon-Ricotta pancakes

3/4 cup flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t nutmeg (I keep whole nutmeg in the freezer and grate fresh)
1/4 t salt
2 T sugar
1 cup ricotta
2 eggs, separated
2/3 cup milk
zest of one lemon
(I find my cuisinart immersion blender with whisk attachment to be worth it's weight in gold with this recipe)

1. Blend ricotta, egg yolks, sugar, nutmeg, zest, and salt until
smooth. Mix in flour and baking powder until just incorporated.
2. Whip egg whites (with hand mixer or whisk immersion blender) until stiff. Fold into ricotta mixture gently.
3. Cook pancakes in buttered non-stick pan. Add blueberries before first flip, if desired.
***I usually make smallish pancakes because they're easier to flip and top with a pat of butter after taking them off the griddle or pan***

Hope you and your family love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment